Monday, July 12, 2010

Buffa10, Day 2


Now this is a great hosta picture!! A cottage on Little Summer Street was being renovated, and this truck had to do what it had to do. Some work is destructive by nature. I happen to know, though, that these hosta will be back. When I was growing up, we had hostas next to the front porch. My pot of marigolds had gotten me an adorable picture in the local newspaper and at some point a vision emerged for a lovely child's flower garden in that small space. Effort was made to clear the plot, but it was unsuccessful.

After exploring the roots of my little problem, some details started to emerge. Leaves with sun on them, to me, have an unreal quality, but in the shade they can look quite nice. The flowers are so garish that I want to avert my gaze. Day 3 has a hosta garden on its agenda and if it wasn't for the tea and scones being served, I'd be heading for Old Man River and Goat Island.


3 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I didn't notice that. But then it was pouring rain when I dodged around the truck. That Hosta will probably be fine next year.

Gail said...

Hostas are a challenge for me Becky~Most diminish over time except Guacamole! But I do love seeing them thrive in gardens! gail

EAL said...

I don't know what we'd do without our hostas in WNY. They do so well here when so much does not--especially for those of us with dry shade.

I loves Mike's "alpine" hostas.