Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Plant Identification the Hard Way


How is it after all these years I have never noticed the gorgeous fall color of the stems of this plant? What is this plant anyway? It's tall, taller than me in fact. It's definitely a weed. This time of year it has dark purple berries. As a boy my dad used the berries to make ink in the attic and left a very permanent stain on the ceiling below.The berries and roots are poisonous. In the spring, mom used to boil the green shoots in three changes of water and then cook them. (None for me thanks!!!) Up until the year 2000, a company named Allen's used to can the stuff.

So how about it, can you identify this plant without seeing the flowers, the berries or the leaves?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not from the stem, but from the description, absolutely! It's pokeweed/pokeberry, and it grows up all around my yard because the birds (I assume) like it. Great for staining garden gloves bright magenta.