Monday, September 22, 2008

Impossible Deadline

I'm a hopeless sucker for Moon flowers. The huge white trumpets that open in the evening and release their exotic scent fascinate me. Here in zone 5 planting moon flowers is a little like buying a lottery ticket. Last year I was a winner. I got to gaze out my window and see those beautiful white blooms in the moonlight. I got to sit on the garden bench and inhale that sweet aroma. This year I'm afraid the deadline will not be met. As you can see the bud is there but tiny. According to the current weather forecast, we might have a week. I don't think the plant can manage it. I doubt if this disappointment will stop me. When I see Moon flowers in the nursery I can't resist them. I'm always sure next year will be better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love white flowers in the early evening, shining bright enough to be seen from the house.
I've been willing my Cimicifuga buds to open before frost too. Come on guys, you put all that hard work into growing this year, now flower. Can't you see the signs that fall is here already?