Saturday, May 30, 2020

Walk In The Garden With Me



I'm taking a walk in the native plant garden.  I would love to take you with me.  Please stay on the path and don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have.  I may or may not have the answers.  This is a Greater Yellow Lady'slipper.  Back again this year, this plant should not be missed!  It actually had four buds, but one day a flower drooped and the next day it was gone.  Three flowers are still terrific!


 If I remember correctly, the wild ginger was planted here first.  Ed planted the stump last year.  This year the black cohosh that Jane gave me so long ago was transplanted right behind the stump.  The rock polypody is new.  The little flowers are a  baby woodland phlox that grew from a piece that I stuck in Ed's carefully prepared soil early this spring.


The gorgeous original  clump woodland phlox  is back again this spring.  The pale blue flowers make a lovely companion for the smooth Solomon's seal.  In the evening the flowers seem to glow and the clump can be seen from the road if you slow down  to look at gardens like I do.



The early meadow rue plants are here for their second year and I am delighted to have proof that  just like I thought I do have a male and a female plant.  A few leaves of the mother plant show in the lower right of the picture.  The tiny pale green seedlings are baby meadow rue plants.  We could never have too many of these delicate looking plants!  I will watch these grow and transplant them to fill in empty spots.


Red columbine  and white shooting stars were transplanted this spring from the shade garden up by the house.  Clearly they are happy in their new home.  Virtual garden walks are not as much fun as real ones.  On the other hand I can taake this walk again in December if I want to do that. So can you!

4 comments:

L or D said...

Such a fascinating and amazing variety. A walk with you is always special!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Becky. enjoyed our little walk together. Don is out mowing and mowing. Our white and purple lilacs are in bloom and there are big buds appearing on the orange poppies and the yellow iris are coming. Still have prolific blue, white, and pink forgetmenots ALL OVER. Take care. Joann

Unknown said...

This walk was a wonderful treat. Thank you. Yvonne

Indie said...

Those slippers!! And the mass of phlox! Gorgeous!!