Thursday, December 13, 2012

Frozen Turkeys


It was frosty this morning.   The landscape was coated with shimmering white.  I was surprised and delighted to watch a large flock of turkeys walk from the tall grass into the mowed area around the garden.  Because the turkeys were between me and the bright morning sun, getting a picture was a bit tricky.   I was able to get a picture of part of the flock.  There are more than twenty turkeys in the picture and there were still more to the right of the shade garden.  I don't think I remember ever seeing this large a flock here.   As it happened we were headed out this morning.  Ed made the first trip out to the car.  Since he was headed away from them, the turkeys barely noticed him, but when he made noise opening the car door, the turkeys all flew at once  across the garden.  It's not often that I get to see turkeys fly like that.  They really prefer to walk.  It's a big effort for them to take to the air, but it is an awesome sight!

Amy called to tell us how great the Geminids were tonight.  Ed and I went out on the porch and stood together to watch.  We saw quite a few while we were out there, but it was cold and the clouds closed in more and more.  When we came inside only the stars directly overhead were still visible.   I'm glad we didn't miss it!
 

No comments: