Thursday, June 30, 2011

No Rain in the Garden!


Yesterday was a great day to spend in the garden. We didn't see much of the sun, but the grey clouds kept the rain to themselves. We have lot to do. Ed spent time digging and dividing iris. Susan and May stopped by to trade plants.  Two different iris that were from Susan's grandmother's farm are now at Stone Wall Garden. I weeded around the lavender hoping it would dry off so that I could cut it. I have my ribbons all ready to make lavender wands. I didn't get around to trimming the lady's mantle so it still has it's after the heavy rain look.


Without the rain this "Sundown" cone flower had a visitor .


 It was so nice to see a honeybee on the milkweed. I wish you could enjoy its fragrance that dances through the garden on the wind!

 The A. curviceps, swamp milkweed, is blooming too. Ants seem to be visiting here.


 I took great delight in watching this bumblebee wriggle and roll around in this pink poppy.


But the best fun was watching the antics of this male woodpecker and his offspring. Dad does feed the baby, who is almost his size, but there seem to be rules. Baby seems to get fed after flying, and definitely gets fed after pecking on the locust tree branch. Here at our garden playground work does get done, but stopping to enjoy what is going on around you is job ONE!

2 comments:

Lona said...

I really like your Sundown echinacea. I have Summer Sky which is about opposite in color.Very pretty. Have a wonderful weekend!

Victoria Williams said...

I've seen quite a few of those woodpeckers around here this year. They're so lovely.