Friday, June 17, 2011

It's All About Thyme

 Now is the exciting thyme for a thyme covered patio. We love the look.


We are not alone in our admiration of the thyme. If it is not raining, the thyme is buzzing with all kinds of bees. I would not want to walk barefoot in the thyme when it is flowering. The bees are busy, but self defense is another matter.

 


For years I have fervently weeded the thyme on the stone patios. I was determined keep the woolly thyme and the red creeping thyme separate. I have officially given up weeding the  thyme out of the thyme.

Here the darker pink flowers are my red creeping thyme. The light pink flowers belong to wild thyme. It was here when we came and grows in large patches all through the grass. You can smell it when you walk. It is the wild thyme that cascades off the edge of the patio. How can I argue with that?  Thyme is thyme. We will enjoy the flowers and the bees until the thyme begins to go to seed, then we will give the patio a short haircut with the weed whacker. If you want to keep your thyme in good condition , you have to cut it back after it flowers.

3 comments:

Sal from SRF said...

The rockwork at your place is stunning, and must have taken many, many hours to do. Well done!

gabrielle@flowerbulbcrazy.com said...

it looks wonderful but seems to be missing a chair or 2. It looks like a nice place to sit and relax

GirlSprout said...

Hi, I was just wondering what to with me thyme after it's bloomed. Thanks for the insight.