Sunday, June 5, 2011

Contemplating a Garden Divorce



I would be the first to admit that we have been falling behind. This picture of our first planting of weeds peas with a ragweed right in the center kind of sums things up. It's been a tough week here at the Stone Wall Garden.  The June frost, although light, did not sit well. That was only the beginning. On Thursday, after an hour of water aerobics in a chlorine pool, a long shower, and some time in a sauna, I found,ugh, a deer tick stuck on me. We made the trip to the emergency room to have it removed. They sent it wherever they send deer ticks, gave me a strong dose of antibiotic and send me home. Friday  Ed was feeling terrible with fever and chills. That night at Amy's urging, I checked him over and discovered he had a  nasty looking rash under his left arm. It was late, after eleven, when we  made the second trip of the week  to the emergency room. In his case no tick was found, but he definitely has an infected bite of some kind. He was given even more antibiotics than I was . That night I thought to myself "I think I want a garden divorce." I love the flowers, the fresh vegetables, the herbs, the butterflies, the birds,  but I've had enough. Maybe an apartment in the city would be better.


In the morning I walked in the garden, watched the hummingbird on the coral bells, caught the aroma of the lemon lilies, and snapped a picture of this gorgeous blue anchusa flower .Then I decided.  I'm not giving up. It's not the garden, it's me. I'll wear the white clothes , stuff my pants inside my socks, use repellent, shower after gardening and do the extra laundry .  I can't give the garden up. I WON'T!

2 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Absolutely don't give up your garden, don't let the deer ticks win!

Donna said...

I'm with you....my post on Monday has a vaguely familiar pic of my peas that are amongst the weeds....I am so far behind with planting and weeding that it will be late fall by the time I catch up....but I can't give up the garden....it is too much a part of me as yours is a part of you...sending good thoughts for you and your family's health and garden...