Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Poor Mistreated Patchouli



This last winter when I was suffering from cabin fever and leafing through plant catalogs, I decided to purchase patchouli plants again. After all, the Richter's catalog describes the plant as easy to grow. I've had somewhat dismal results with the plant in the distant past, but I like the fragrance, and I was sure this time would be different. Since the plant is listed as zone 11+, I planted my patchouli in my warmest south facing beds in full sun. This poor patchouli has endured summer in upstate New York. It has been sunburned but is still clinging to life with a few green leaves. With the cooler weather and nights in the forties, Ed potted up the plant to move it inside and not a moment too soon!


Finally, I researched this plant to see what it's needs actually are. It should to be planted in indirect light in moist soil. For the plant to be truly be happy,the air should be moist and warm. The temperature should never drop below 75 degrees. The only thing I really did right was to plant it in dirt. Since it is still alive, Richters is right. Patchouli is pretty tough for so tender a plant.

Now the patchouli has a spot indoors, in indirect light, next to a south facing window. I will try to maintain the moisture it likes, but the plain fact is the temperature in this house in the winter is rarely above 70 degrees let alone 75. If the plant endures through the winter, I'll keep in inside . Perhaps next summer for a treat on a really hot humid day , it can go outside in the shade and enjoy a thunderstorm. If it dies I won't try again, I'm just not that mean!

No comments: