Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Should Have Had More Faith!



We got just a light kiss of frost the other night, but the nights have been cold, and the trees are beginning to turn color. I had completely given up on the idea of getting to have a moonflower blossom this year. Even here you can see another bud that browned in the cold and dropped off the vine. But last night was a little warmer and this bud did open.Perhaps it was the slightly warmer temperature or maybe this flower got some protection from the stone wall. It's an amazing boost for a gardener when a plant comes through after all hope seems lost.

The early morning fog was still on the garden when I spotted the large white flower from the bedroom window. I went out and got my feet wet with dew to take the picture of this brave blossom. Last night was it's time to bloom. It will wither in the sun today. Buoyed by this unexpected success, tonight I will peer out through the darkness hoping to see another flower. If I do, I'll put on my coat, get a flashlight, sit on the bench, and breathe in the moonflower's incredible evening scent. If not at least one moonflower made it. I can be content with that.

No comments: