Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fly Turkey Fly !



These two turkey hens and their three babies have been hanging around the garden for a couple of weeks. Every morning we see them somewhere, usually just a little too far away from the house to get a picture. This morning they were right outside the kitchen door. I took this picture through the window of the door and the storm door. I suspect they were heading for the newly sifted dirt. They love a good dust bath. Wanting a better picture I stepped out onto the porch.



All but one of the birds took off and flew to the trees at the base of the gravel bank hill. The unflappable hen simply ran all the way to the trees. Later I could hear the birds call to each other. I'm quite sure the family got back together.

Most of the time the turkeys are wary and run for the high grass before a threat gets close. This time I surprised them and they flew. It's quite a thrill being near a turkey when it takes to the air. It takes a lot to get a bird that big into the air. I was especially pleased to see that the babies could fly. Their chances for survival are much greater if they can fly up to a roost in the trees rather than spend the night on the ground.

No comments: