Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Chance To Bloom



Most years my lettuce plants don't get a chance to bloom. This year they have bolted quickly in the heat, and this bed has gone to flower. I think they have the look of a wildflower meadow. Until the space is needed, I will let the lettuce plants bloom. At this point for me,they look more like an ornamental than a vegetable.



I'm a bit excited at the prospect of this plant blooming. This picture was taken yesterday. It really looks like it has potential!



That's a lot of progress in just one day. Things look good for my purple angelica to bloom this year. I'm a sucker for its big purple balls. Last year the plant had only leaves. This spring's frost was unkind, but it looks like we're in for a giant comeback. Late season bloomers can be a disappointment, but when they make it the thrill is fantastic!

No comments: