Sunday, May 30, 2010

What Could Be Better Than A Sunny Day In May?



Chalk up another hot, sunny day here at the Stonewall Garden. It feels so much like July that we can't help feeling we are behind in our planting. It's not true. Here planting on Memorial Day weekend is still just a little risky. Last year we had freeze in June, but this year's garden is moving ahead along with the weather. Elle's yellow roses came and went before I even got a chance to get a picture. We are trying to get plants in the ground. In Ed's beautifully amended soil things are dry and dusty. In places where the soil has only been cleared of stones, the dirt is hard as concrete. I had to water before I could dig the holes to plant the nasturtiums. The mowed area of the meadow where we garden is beginning to brown. It might be considered mean spirited by some to wish for rain on a holiday weekend and spoil the kiddie's fun, but it's a nice all day rain that could be better than a sunny day in May. In the meantime, we have our watering cans.

3 comments:

Northern Shade said...

That's a great bird's eye view shot of your walled garden. I like the sitting area in front. Those rolling hills of green make a beautiful background for your garden.

wiseacre said...

I never thought I'd compare May to July but Yikes, I have Hosta sending up flower spikes. Nearly everything is flowing at least a month early. I'm a bit concerned about what things are going to be like when late summer does get here. Are the insects going to be on a starvation diet because all the flowers have passed? I may be wishing for an early winter for the first time.

Erin said...

I am guessing you are not too far from Orillia Ontario where I was born. I saw you're in NY, but I'm too engrossed to go look at a map!! I should get to the store. I don't even know if I have appts today. If you want to see what I do when I'm not gardening my website is dragonhorse.com
My other great love.
Erin