Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Warm Stew for a Cold Day



It's getting cold here. Ice is forming on the ponds. I took the camera outside with me to cut the kale for a nice warming dinner. My hands were hurting by the time I got back in the house. This kale might be the last thing I harvest directly from the garden. Other garden ingredients for my stew are already in the basement or in the freezer.

I chose West African Groundnut Stew from Vegetarian Soup Cuisine by Jay Solomon. What follows has a few changes from the original recipe.

West African Groundnut Stew

1 T oil
1 med. onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 c. water
2 c. tomato juice
1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes
2 c. diced butternut squash
1 T dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 c chunky peanut butter
4 c, shredded kale, stems removed


In a large saucepan heat the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, ginger and cayenne. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the water, tomato juice, tomatoes, squash, and seasonings. Cook for 25 minutes over med-low heat , stirring occasionally until the squash is tender.

Aggressively stir in the peanut butter. Stir in the kale and return to a gentle simmer. Remove the stew from the heat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.

Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped peanuts. Serves 6.

It's too bad you can't smell the aroma coming from the kitchen!

7 comments:

Susan Tomlinson said...

It looks good! Can you make it with other nuts, though? Peanut butter is not my favorite...

DeVona said...

Your recipe is a great addition to an already wonderful blog!

Amy said...

I love you banner photo - my mother grows those very same pink poppies.

I was cold here today too and I also made a great big pot of soup. Just the thing for a November dinner :)

Becky said...

Of course groundnuts are peanuts because they grow under the ground. You need a nut butter so try the one that sounds good to you. I dislike cashews, but I think cashew butter might be good if you like it.

Anonymous said...

That recipe indeed sounded delightful. Count me in for dinner.

Barbarapc said...

So glad I found your blog - thanks to Nancy Bond's first snowfall project. Love the header - so much scope to your garden, will enjoy following its progress.

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Peanuts and squash and garlic? I like it! I'll have to try this.