Sunday, November 23, 2008

Meet Stefan




At twenty years, Stefan is the senior member of our houseplant family. He started out as a small plant on the window sill of Amy's college dorm room. Stefan did well in college, but had to drop out when he became too tall to fit in the car. The house where we used to live had ten foot ceilings and Stefan rose to the challenge. When he reached the ceiling , after much discussion I attempted air layering. The top died, but the bottom sprouted the two trunks that you see today.

Not long ago Stefan reached the ceiling here. With some considerable effort I moved him from the bedroom to the stairwell. I thought it would give him more height to grow taller. Of course instead of that, like any plant, he chose to grow toward the sunlight. Soon we will need a machete to get down the stairs to the basement. I'm afraid I need to sharpen up the loppers and cut him off at the base again. I do not find this kind of operation easy or pleasant. Now I ponder the question. Should I do it now while the strong winter sun streams in the south facing window or should I give Stefan a reprieve and wait until spring?

6 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Becky .. I don't envy you this decision. I have no idea what would be best for Stefan .. I have to admire his adaptability and age big time though, what a guy !

tina said...

Well howdy Stefan! Nice to meet ya!

mr_subjunctive said...

If it were my plant, I'd probably do it now, because I'm impatient. The smarter thing is probably to wait until late spring or early summer.

Anonymous said...

It's great he's so willing to change to accommodate his environment! I'd probably lop him off now and give him all that winter sun to get growing again. :)

themanicgardener said...

So--do you name all your houseplants, or only those over fifteen years of age?
--Kate

Becky said...

Come to think of it the only other houseplant with a name here is Phil. I guess he's at least 15. The naming had to stop! "It's time to compost Phil" sounds just plain cruel! I can't handle it.