Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Phlox, Everyone's Favorite

This white phlox has been blooming for some time. I've been taking pictures and deleting them because the white is a challenge for my camera and for me. I decided on this photo because the Oriole damaged dizzy lilies look so good in front of the phlox. Wow, sometimes a planned companion planting actually works out!

Tall phlox, white or colored is a great perennial plant. It has a wonderful fragrance, the butterflies, hummingbirds and hummingbird moths all love the plant and so do I. It blooms for a very long time, and grows to a large clump that can be divided. You will love it!

However, I have to say that "everyone"includes Bambi and his friends. We place a cage around the phlox to protect it from the deer in the spring. It is still there even though you can't see it. On the list of favorite foods for deer, Phlox is listed under deer candy.

No comments: