Thursday, October 24, 2019

Sleeping In The Sunlight


Our weather has definitely taken a turn toward seasonal cold.  Overnight frost has become a common occurrence with chilly days frequent.  We can put on a extra layer of clothing but the animals have to seek a natural source of heat.  This milk snake was likely newly hatched here in late spring.  Larger milk snakes are frequently seen both in and on the dry stone walls leading down to the basement.  Shiny unblemished skin suggests that this little guy recently shed his skin.  Stones placed in bright sunlight quickly warm up.  This snake allowed me a close approach to get this picture but stayed put without moving a muscle.  Somehow it knew that we would not inflict any harm.


This fox is catching a midday nap very close to the house.  Its sleep is restless with frequent interruptions to raise his head looking for intruders.  Despite this wariness, I was able to open the window without disturbing the nap.  I needed him to raise his head for the photo.  My friendly soft verbal greeting resulted in an instant head raise followed by a quick run for the trees.  It did not take long for the fox to return to the warmth of the grass.  Both Becky and I are usually harmless and we enjoy the company of the animals as long as they are not eating our plants.  In that case we send them running with a sharp loud verbal commands until they disappear into the bushes.

Later in the day, time spent weeding in the garden seemed like a great way to use this sunny day.  Pulling my Ames Lawn Buddy cart, which serves both as a place to sit and a tool box, I noisily entered the garden.  The fox was again sleeping on the grass but initially had no reaction to me.  Eye contact was avoided thinking that the fox might remain.  A peek out of the corner of my eye sent him heading for the bushes.

Some time later it felt like someone was watching me.  A sideways glance revealed the fox on the grass peering down at me.  Again, eye contact sent him scurrying into the pines.  This day was made truly special by our numerous encounters with this beautiful animal.

No comments: