Sunday, June 23, 2019

Deer Daycare Closed For Renovations


 I suppose  it would be  better  if I had taken a before photo.  Ed and I were way too busy trying to convince those two  twin fawns that in spite of the fact that Mom left them in my shade garden they were not welcome there.  At first I felt bad about it.  Fawns are so darned cute!  As time went by I got over that.  The last time I saw them there I stomped directly towards them.  I actually got  nearly close enough to touch them.  I yelled and waved my arms like a woman gone wild.  One left almost right away.  Finally the other one  got up and ran.  They both flashed their white tails and were gone.  I did some work on the shade garden that very day.

Yesterday was a beautiful day to be outside in the garden. The sun was shining and the sky was blue.  I took one look at the shade garden and I knew it was my mission for the day.  The entire shade garden was a sea of bare stems like the coral bells pictured above.  Apparently violet leaves are the perfect food for weaning fawns.  The allium that I love to use as a cut flower on the 4th of July was left uneaten, but bent and broken.  Let's just say there were fireworks a little early here this year!

 I spent the entire morning up in the shade garden with my garden cart and my Cobrahead removing violets and other unwanted plants while searching for what was left of my favorite wildflowers and other shade plants.


More than once while I worked I heard snorting from the tree line.  The doe with the two fawns was not happy with me and that suited me just fine!   Ed carried away my trugs full of violets and weeds. He helped me replant the Squirrel corn and the Dutchman's breeches.


He brought me cages to help protect my favorite plants  I thought this unique cage altered to protect my  Campanula portenschlagiana was  a real inspiration!  Now the Bambi Buffet will have to move to another location.


I am almost done with the renovations on the shade garden.  When I am finished this Deer Day Care Center will be CLOSED FOR GOOD!

1 comment:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

I can't even imagine having to deal with deer--the rabbits are horrible here! Every year they destroy more plants! Just chewed my lush Aronia shrub down by 2/3s. It will survive, but at this rate, it will always be a dwarf...even though I've treated it with rabbit repellent and caged it. Time to try some new techniques...