Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Avert Your Eyes! Sex In The Garden


Like the old song says "Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers ..." but today it one of my very favorite garden visitors, Hemaris thysbe, the Clearwing hummingbird moth that is mating on the lavender bee balm.  Ed took this great picture.  The flowers were buzzing with activity.  It was just plain luck that we spotted these two.


We took the time to snap a second picture before we moved off to let them do their thing in peace.  In all the times I have watched these interesting creatures in the garden, I have never seen this before.  Sometimes I say that and find out later that I was mistaken. In this case I'm very sure because I love to watch them and the prospects of more of them around is thrilling to me.  Not everyone finds them so fascinating, but for those to do here are some past posts. Still Wonderful When Wet  , Garden Guests Galore,  Splendor In The Grass And Weeds, Hemaris thysbe, the Clearwing hummingbird moth    For me it is awesome!!!!

No comments: