Friday, August 14, 2009

Let's Try Okra



This is something new for me. I've eaten okra before but I've never tried to grow it. Ed planted the seed this spring when he planted the basil. Up until now the plants have been sitting out there doing very little. Now we have flowers. Yesterday was the first one.Today that flower is gone and we have more. According to The Victory Garden Cookbook the okra pods will have to be picked every other day and gloves should be worn to avoid getting a rash.

I find the new pointy buds intriguing. The flower is quite pretty, creamy white with a burgundy center. Kept picked the plants could reach four feet. Pods should be picked at 2 to 21/2 inches. Some people love okra ,some dislike the gooey texture. I guess it puts the gum in gumbo. I'm keeping an open mind and looking forward to picking it fresh. In the meantime the flowers are lovely!

2 comments:

Liz said...

To me the best okra in the world is the one you just pick and bite into right there in your garden. It's goo free, green and crunchy. I also like it sauteed with garlic and onion in a little olive oil. If you like crunchy, stop right there, or go on and throw in some fresh tomato. It will get gooey, but oh, what a taste treat!

What growing zone you are in? I'm in Zone 6.5 Tennessee and I'm having to reach up to get the pods. Some of the plants are approaching 8 feet. By frost I'll be needing a ladder.

Becky said...

We are in zone 4. I'll be leaning over to pick mine. Thanks for the cooking ideas. I plan to get my first taste tomorrow!