Sunday, May 10, 2009

How Cool?



Two days ago the tulips were wide open just waiting for some great pollination action. Notice the especially brazen yellow and red flower the second from the right. It was a beautiful May day, perfect in fact.




Today the wind has changed. There's some blue sky but it's noon and the tulips are still unwilling to open so boldly. It's chilly and the FROST WARNING notices are out.





These red tulips don't seem to want to open today at all. I'm sure everybody will be closed up tight tonight. Ed is working outside. I'm in the house with all the tender plants in pots. I'll be going out to cut the asparagus that's up for tonight's dinner. It doesn't like frost. May cold snaps are expected here, but I sure hope the apple blossoms got to set their fruit.

It was a big surprise to me that my first hummingbird sighting of the year would happen on this cool day. It was a male ruby throat ( our only kind) sitting on the smoke bush next to the clove currant. Perhaps more exciting than that is watching papa bluebird and a newly fledged baby feeding in the garden.

No comments: