Friday, July 11, 2008

Which Came First?

Which came first the chicken or the egg? In this case it's which comes first the blossom or the squash? I never really considered that question until I took this picture about four days ago. There they were, tiny little yellow squash with the beginnings of a blossom. They looked like that right up until yesterday's rain.


Look at the difference. Now the little squash have big yellow female blossoms . Once the blossoms are pollinated the squash will grow and develop seeds. The male blossoms are the smaller flowers on the skinny little green stems. It will only be a day or two and we will be eating yellow squash. The wonderful garden treats of summer just keep on coming.

1 comment:

DeVona said...

I love your new Blog title photo of garden and poppies!I try to vissit your garden every day- It's so informative and interesting (and sometimes funny- ie. skunk sighting) I really like what you show photos of weeds because often I dont realize Im nurturing weeds until too late!