Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Magic of Lavender


I had one of those days when you are weeding in the garden and you commit plantslaughter. You don’t mean to do it. It really is an accident, but the results are the same. The morning glory is headed to the morgue, I mean compost. I thought it was far enough away from where I was working , honestly I did! It was firmly clinging to one of the weeds I pulled and snapped right off.

This definitely took the wind out of my sails where weeding is concerned. I consoled myself with my lavender plant. I made my first lavender wand of the season. The aroma of the lavender and the weaving made me feel better. My hands are scented with lavender and my mood is improved. I might even go back out and weed some more later!

English lavender is one of those plants that grows here, but given its choice would prefer a different climate. I love the plant and I keep trying. Sometimes they last a few years and get pretty big, if a little straggly. Other years they just don’t make it. I think with the weather we have had this year, my lavender flowers are quite miraculous. Yardley’s English Lavender is nice, but it pales when compared to the fragrance of fresh flowers right off the plant on a sunny day.

No comments: