Sunday, May 4, 2008

His Wall and Her Wall

His wall is in the foreground, hers in the back.

Her wall is in the foreground, his in the back.

I was asked by a friend if I ever built a stone wall. I did build one with help from Ed. He's a great teacher. He did the end and the corner, and I filled in the middle. I tried to follow the rules. Build the wall with two faces tied together. Always place one stone over two to prevent vertical breaks in the wall. Always keep the stones level or at least leaning toward the center of the wall.

I'm pleased with my wall. Building it was fun, but you can see the difference between his and mine. My wall has several diagonal lines. I was totally unaware of them when I was doing it. Ed's walls all have crisp horizontal lines even though the stone he is working with is variable. As you can see, the walls all fit together nicely anyway. Maybe you can tell something about a person from their stone walls. I'll let you speculate on that.

1 comment:

me ann my camera said...

I wonder if both you and Ed were in middle of the woods, if you might see the trees while Ed would see the forest?

Nice walls, both of them.