Thursday, October 10, 2019

Fox In The Morning


 It was so easy to stay curled up in bed this morning.  When I did get up I looked out the bedroom window at the garden like I always do.   I saw the fox reclined on the top of the stone wall.  For a few seconds I got to admire his beautiful fur coat and bushy tail, but when our eyes met the fox disappeared in a flash.  I say disappeared but really the fox was not one bit rattled and simply kept hidden from my view using the garden as cover.  Ed grabbed the camera and we moved to the living room window.  Quick glimpses of fox were all we got to see for awhile, but then the fox came into view and hopped on top of  a bag of leaves.  First he dug in the top  to fluff up the leaves.  Then several circles were made before he settled down  just like the family dog would do.  Having flopped down in this comfortable spot it was time for a little wash up.  He licked his front paws like a cat.  The fox did not remain in that cozy spot for long.   Perhaps it was the noise of the camera or maybe he saw us move, but once again he disappeared  back into the safety of the garden..


We waited and watched, thinking our morning encounter was over, but to our delight he hopped up another stone wall where we could see him again.  For a time something up by the bluebird boxes held his attention.  At that distance he no  longer seemed a bit concerned about us.


 Foxes love to walk on the top of stone walls.  He stopped to sniff the stone wall next to the hazelnut.  Big fat chipmunks inhabit the stone wall there.  Maybe he will stop back at another time for a furry snack.


He made his way along the wall at a slow pace. We had time to take several really fuzzy pictures.


Once the fox ran out of wall  he took off streaking across the grass with his tail streaming behind him.  In seconds he was gone.  Even a brief glimpse of a fox makes my day.  This morning was beyond exciting,

2 comments:

L or D said...

We loved seeing our fox. We found out that he was so tame because a neighbor was feeding him hotdogs! After he disappeared, we learned that another neighbor had killed it and sold the pelt. Circle of Life in the country!

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Well, now that's exciting, isn't it? I've only seen a fox a couple of times. The other day when I was hiking I saw a coyote, and had a similar feeling. My initial thought was...oh, there's a nice dog...oh, it's a coyote! I was glad my little cockapoo puppy wasn't hiking with me that day!