Saturday, August 1, 2009

Buried Treasure



I am a wickedly curious person sometimes. This morning I did some weeding in the bed where the peas have recently been pulled. Among the weeds and poppies, I found a potato vine. Obviously it came up from a potato we overlooked last year. I left it there, but the darn thing nagged at me all day. Ed took pity on me and finally dug it up. One fairly big and two tiny potatoes were the result. I'm not sure what kind they are. Perhaps we will find out at supper. If the flesh is yellow, they must be Bintje.




We decided we could use another potato to go with the one we had, so Ed dug his first hill of Caribes. These beautiful purple skinned potatoes with pure snowy-white flesh are a favorite of ours. They are almost too pretty to eat, but we will eat them, skins and all. Freshly dug potatoes, cooked in their skins, are a fantastic treat!

If the scab free skins on these potatoes are any indication of things to come, molasses water is now a permanent part of our potato planting routine. The results really are amazing!