Sunday, May 3, 2009

White Tulips and Evening Scented Stock



I couldn't resist taking a picture of these beautiful white tulips. Originally they were a potted Mother's Day gift. The blooms are so perfect in spite of the fact that the deer trimmed the leaves so harshly. My new tulips are coming along now, and are safely caged to protect them from hungry browsers.



I'm delighted to see these tiny self seeded evening scented stock plants. You can see how small they are by comparing with the bunny berry in the picture. As soon as they get a little bigger I will move them to where I want them in the garden and pot up some for friends who drop by. These fragrant plants have small pink flowers and are not the neatest of plants, but tucked in among other flowers , they release their fantastic scent in the evening all summer long. I love them so much! I can't imagine the garden without them. Once established these self seed freely. Their greatest risk is the ruthless spring weeder.

1 comment:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Becky! You are absolutely right - it's such a special feeling to see those self-seeded little plants! It is one of my favorite garden things - to walk slow and try to see those tiny green heads poking out from the ground. Thanks!