Thursday, May 13, 2021

Frost Burned My Magnolia

It was beautiful at midday yesterday.  The Magnolia flowers were gorgeous.  The underneath side of the flowers show lovely pink shading.

The inside of the flowers is white with perhaps a slight tinge of pink showing through.  I was delighted to find a flower low enough that I could take this shot.

Blue sky and white clouds are my favorite background for a Magnolia photo.  Amy taught me that when we visited the Botanic Gardens together in the city.  We planted this Magnolia 10 years ago for Amy.  It has had good years and bad.  With so many beautiful flowers this has to be considered a good year!

But the weather forecast and the sky were ominous. There was a definite chill in the air  I'm glad I got this year's Magnolia flowers  pictures when I did.  We were told to expect a hard frost.


It was hard, cold and cruel.  The ground was covered with white.  I am well aware that the usual frost free date here is June first.  The truth is last night's frost burned my cork and my Magnolias.  I will get over the disappointment quickly but the Magnolia flowers will have wait until next year!

1 comment:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Oh darn! Yes, I'm glad you got the photos! June 1? That is crazy. Our frost-free date is mid-May, and that seems bad enough. I hope we are both done with frost for the season!