Friday, January 8, 2021

End Of An Era


Model trains have been a part of my life for longer than I can remember.  When my age was still measured in single digits, my Father fastened plywood to a 2 X 4 frame that was supported by a caster in each corner.  He painted the wood green and placed an oval of track on the layout.  In addition to the American Flyer train, a two tank petroleum storage facility and a plastic pond that was crossed by a wooden arch bridge completed my miniature empire.  I remember becoming upset when the pond was without water.  That is when I learned about evaporation.  Until today I still had possession of the gas storage tanks and the train.  The plastic pond and table were lost decades ago.

There is a train and hobby store in Windsor.  They provide an auction service in addition to retail sales.  Our car is empty now as a run was made to deliver the rest of my train collection to the Train Store.  For the first time in my adult life I have no model trains.  They are no longer here as both my failing eyesight and diminished manual dexterity made creating new models that are up to recent standards impossible to build.

If any reader has an interest in area railroads, museum quality models or an expansive collection of books and DVDs, all are for sale in Windsor.  NYO&W steam engines, scratch built milk cars, coal cars, box cars and cabooses dominate the collection.  The D&H, Lackawanna, Lehigh Valley, Unadilla Valley and Delaware & Northern railroads are each represented in the collection.  The Village Train & Hobby store can be reached at (607) 655-1700 or jeffolin@msn.com.
 

No comments: