Saturday, September 28, 2019

Asters, Milkweed And Monarchs


The garden has gone a bit wild,   New England Asters are the outstanding plants in the garden on these warm Autumn days.  This clump has milkweed fluff caught in its flowers.  It will take a strong wind to dislodge the silky parachutes from there.


These are the glorious days of the purple of asters and the gold of goldenrod.  I think they make a beautiful combination.  The Monarchs love them too.  With so many Monarchs soaring over the garden it's not so hard to snap a great  picture.


I pushed my luck and tried for a picture of two Monarchs feeding next to each other.  In the blink of an eye one of them was gone.  I was a little disappointed sure I had missed a great shot again.  It was not until I loaded the pictures that I saw that I  caught the second butterfly in mid flight, inverted no less.  Who knew they could fly like that.  I'm going to call these two Maverick and Goose.  I always thought the hummingbirds were the fancy fliers in the garden. Many of the birds have already headed south.  The Monarchs will go soon, but until that happens the garden is a delightful place to be!

1 comment:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

I love this combination, too! Most of the Goldenrods around here have gone to seed; I'm wondering if it's due to the hot weather we've had in September, because usually the blooms last much longer into October. The Asters are still blooming nicely, though. Great photos!