Friday, February 23, 2018

Thyme For Breakfast


Once again the garden is covered with snow.   So far there aren't even many deer tracks with  one exception.   Here you see red creeping thyme peeking out of the snow on the stone patio at the west end of the house.   The white stripe up the left side of the photo is the house so you can see it is right next to the house.  In  the upper right  corner of the picture you can see dirt.  What's up with that?


Clearly the deer had a meeting and decided to have thyme for breakfast.  The only deer  tracks  I can see lead directly  from the Norway spruce to my thyme covered patio.


The thyme changes color in the cold, but it remains fragrant and tasty all winter.  Since it has been warm and wet, the saturated dirt made it possible for the deer to rip up the plants and munch on them roots and all.


Only this tiny piece was left behind on top of the snow.  From clues left behind I think I recognize the morning munchers.  I caught  them the act a couple of winters ago.  I hope they have lunch and dinner plans elsewhere!

2 comments:

Indie said...

How interesting - I guess they must like the taste! I haven't seen as many signs of deer this year here other than one munching of a larch. Lots of bunny tracks though!

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Oh dear; oh deer! They took a risk going that close to your house for their little snack!