Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Cold Sparkling Morning


Here on the last day of November the air is crisp and cold.  As I sat drinking my morning coffee the sun began to come up behind the far hill.  First it back lit the trees on the top of the ridge.  The sun on the frost covered trees made them glow and sparkle in an incredible way, the white frost on the trees picking up the gold  of the sunlight.  I watched intently as the glowing effect changed until the sun rose high enough to make the brightness more intense than I could comfortably watch.

Once the sun was up every tree on the hill was sparkling white.  The surface of the snow sparkled like diamonds.  This is a sight we are accustomed to see in January or February.  I know from past experience that it is impossible, at least for me, to capture the beauty of this incredible sight with the camera .  I slipped on my boots and went out on the deck to at least give it a try.  I noticed that the thermometer read 20 degrees.  It must have been colder during the night.  I took several pictures and this one was the best.  The hill in the distance looks beautiful, but the glow and sparkle of the reflected sunlight eludes the camera.  I guess you just had to be here.  Where it is cold and frost and snow are familiar to you, I'm sure you can visualize this morning's view out my window.  Snow and frost can be incredibly annoying, but this morning for awhile that was all erased by incredible beauty.

1 comment:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Becky it has been a while since I have stopped by, but oh what a sight to behold. I think you captured it perfectly...you have a heavenly view. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!