Saturday, May 26, 2012

Can It Bee Possible?




I chased this bumblebee from flower to flower trying to take his picture. Each time he just buzzed away leaving me with nothing but an out-of-focus blur.  Finally he  lingered on the Baptisia long enough for me to get a picture.  Thrilled with my success I took a second shot.



When I got a look at this picture I was amazed.  How can it be possible that this fat fuzzy bumblebee can dart around from flower to flower when it has such tiny little wings?  It must take a lot of nectar to get this wide body off the ground.  It's a miracle that he can fly at all, but he can zoom.  He buzzed right off again, but at least this time I got his picture.

3 comments:

Going Native said...

This bee gives me hope that maybe someday I can fly. : )

Casa Mariposa said...

Hmmm... I've never thought about the bee's body to wing width ratio but it does seem a bit outta whack. I have the same fuzzy bumbles in my garden and they're much faster than they appear. But capturing a shot of one is always exciting! Hooray for you!

Victoria Williams said...

Those bees really move around! They make quite the chase.