Tuesday, June 17, 2008

NYBG Alliums


I bought these alliums on a trip to the New York Botanical Gardens. They have been a favorite of mine ever since. I was concerned this year. The buds looked decidedly unwell after that last hard frost, but I worried for nothing. They are like big round balls of lavender stars. The stems may be a little shorter than usual, but the flowers are fine. They are Allium albopilosum. I found them for the first time in a catalog from John Scheepers,Inc. I ordered some more to plant this fall.

I always cut these around the fourth of July when they are beginning to fade, and put red white and blue streamers on them. As a dried arrangement they look like fireworks so perfect for the 4th, but for now I'll enjoy them in the garden and think about where to plant 10 new bulbs.

No comments: