Monday, June 23, 2008

Ingeborg's Mallow

I've tried to plan a garden. I've seen detailed drawings in magazines so I know people do it. Somehow that just doesn't work for me. I combine a where can I stick it approach with where did it plant itself method to plan my garden.

Who can resist the gift of a beautiful plant from a friend? I can't and so I bring them home like stray puppies and find a place to plant them somewhere. Ingeborg gave me this mallow years ago. I did like I always do, I put it in one of Ed's beautifully prepared beds where I could find an open spot.

Gardening friends always have extra plants. Perennials need to be divided. Plants self-seed. Face it, procreation is a plant's favorite activity. Remember the "birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees"? Weeding is a bit of a treasure hunt here. Just the other day I found a sweet Annie. It's not a favorite of mine so I potted it for Jane who really loves it, and will deliver it to her today.

Ingeborg's mallow is one of my treasured plants that pop up in unexpected places. It needs to be moved early as it has a long taproot. I'm always glad to see it. One must be on the lookout during early weeding. The plant must be seen and recognized if it is to be moved rather than composted. Listed as Malva sylvestris in most books, it is an annual here. It comes up from seed, blooms the first year and the original plant does not come back. This is my first bloom of many. In fact there are still plants that should be thinned out.

Note how well the hail damaged leaf has healed. It is torn but still green.

No comments: