Thursday, April 10, 2008

Yesterday's Special


Time in the garden yesterday was wonderful. My husband stripped sod from the path between two beds. He uses his mattock to cut neat squares of sod that he piles away from the garden. In time the sod will break down into beautiful soil. Next he picks up the large stones and carts them to where ever they are to be used. He then sifts out the dirt to be placed in a bed, and finishes the path with small sized stone. This seems to be a reasonable solution to gardening where the glaciers left more stone than soil.

I spent my day cleaning up and weeding. It was my day to be reminded that although people think they are on the top of the food chain, the food chain is actually a circle and we are in it. I knew my eyes were itchy and watering a bit. "Tree pollen" I thought as I pressed on, enjoying the day.

When I looked at myself in the mirror before bed, I looked SWELL, and not in a good way. The bags under my eyes are like trans-Atlantic steamer trunks. I guess that I was so busy, I didn't realize I was the special of the day on the insect's menu. It's not a lot better this morning so I will be faced with a day of "What happened to your face?" Did I tell you I absolutely LOVE the garden?

So I found the insect repellent to add to my long sleeve shirt, long pants, sunscreen, sun hat, and gloves. If that doesn't do it, there's always the bee suit!

No comments: