Sunday, November 29, 2015

Lichens And Stones


When the family was here for Thanksgiving, Amy and I took a walk as we often do.  It was sunny and beautiful, but chilly.  Usually we take the camera, but this time it was left behind.  I've always thought that she has a very special eye when it comes to finding interesting nature subjects to photograph.  We found some fantastic lichens on some of the stones on the top of  Ed's wall.  I went back with the camera today.  Mother Nature did a great job on this stone.  In a way it reminds me of cedar leaves.  I think the black is a lichen too.  This stone is so pretty the temptation is to take it inside to enjoy, but I know that would ruin it.  I know where it is and if I want to see it when it is covered with snow I can visit it here.  I can even click on the picture and get a closer look.


This stone is frosted with lichens. One is the same as before, but the brown is new and unfamiliar to me.  My curious mind wants to know more about these interesting plants.


Here is an even closer look.  I would love to find a great field guide about lichens with great pictures and descriptions that I might understand.  If you are into lichens and can help me with my curiosity, I would love to hear from you!  On the other hand, if you have never noticed what grows on a stone wall you are missing some cool stuff!

1 comment:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Cool lichens! I'm into lichens and mushrooms, but I'm still learning to ID them. Sorry I can't help you. That leathery one is fascinating. We have amazing stuff growing on/clinging to our stone walls, too. Great photo ops. Yours are lovely!