Sunday, July 31, 2011

End of the July Garden, Photos by Amy


Ed's 'Salmon Star' lilies are stealing the show both in sight and scent categories.



The bright yellow 'London'  lilies light up the garden.


The 'Simplon ' lilies are almost six feet tall. Pure white petals , fragrance and  thick sturdy stems  make them a favorite of Ed. Since we are not interested in seed production, he talks about removing the anthers as soon as the flowers opens to preserve the pristine white flower. I on the other hand don't like to disappoint those pollinators besides Ed looks so cute with that orange pollen on the end of his nose.


Purslane is coming up everywhere. It's yellow flowers are soon to be followed by seeds. We are doing very best to get these weeded out. Apparently this July's weather  was perfect for growing purslane.


This  little guy is a ' Sugar Baby' watermelon. I was not surprised to see the hairy stems, but until I saw Amy's photograph, I never knew tiny watermelons had hair. All the watermelons I've seen have been bald!



Tiny little hens and chicks are hairy too. These little guys are lined up in a crevice of Ed's stone wall like peas in a pod.The tiny plants came up from seed self sown by the larger clumps that reside on the wall. As they grow things are going to get a bit tight!

3 comments:

Katie said...

I saw on 66squarefeet.blogspot.com (where they are into foraging) that they recently feasted on purslane salad ;I said it was delicious. Might you consider it? Katie in the deep south.

GirlSprout said...

I always get pollen on my nose, too. I can't resist smelling lilies.

Becky said...

It would be great if I liked purslane, but I have tried it and I don't. Maybe I'm over my "Wildman Steve Brill" phase!