Thursday, November 19, 2009

What A Great Surprise!



Yesterday I discovered that Plants and Stones was one of
Horticulture magazine's top 20 favorite garden blogs. With all of the terrific blogs they had to choose from, I was surprised, no shocked to be selected! What a thrill it was for me. There's no question about that. My smile was so broad that Ed was afraid I might swallow my ears. I really need to say thank you to Patty Craft , managing editor of Horticulture. I did buy a brand new subscription to the magazine, but that hardly seems adequate.

Red creeping thyme is what we planted in the area photographed. It's there, but Catchfly is the larger plant. This is how we garden. Ed moved the catchfly into the garden from the gravel bank because he liked the bright pink of its tiny flowers. Brown sticky sections on the plant's stem added to its appeal. Butterflies and hummingbirds feed on these flowers, and that sealed the deal. So now we have a strongly growing "weed" in our stone garden square . Some will go to the compost, but some will be allowed to stay. Catchfly plants itself and we work around its chosen spot. Allowing plants to self seed is what we do best.

3 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I saw that too. Congrats.

Nan Ondra said...

Congratulations, Becky! The recognition is well deserved. I love your header photo!

DeVona said...

Congratulations! You're blog is at the top of my blog list because it's my favorite (and most informative and useful) blog! You deserve extra credit, too, for being such faithful bloggers!I'm lucky if I get one or two blogs posted per month!Keep up the great work and much continued success in the garden and beyond!