Friday, October 16, 2009

Snow !



Ed got the last of his garlic planted yesterday. He wanted to get it in before the snow, and he just made it. I saw a bluebird on the fencepost yesterday. I guess he stopped by to visit and to say goodbye. I know I have to find the snow brush for the car and dig out my boots. That doesn't really make me happy. Still, the beauty of the garden with its coat of white gets me every time. It's gorgeous!



It's not a lot of snow, perhaps an inch, perhaps less. Certainly more than that fell. It started yesterday and continued through the night. With the ground still warm, it took some time to stick. As the day warms the snow will probably disappear very quickly.





Tomorrow is the first day of deer hunting for the bow hunters. This kind of snow is what they dream about having for that first morning in the woods. If you look you can see the tracks where the critters have been in the garden. Tracks in the snow add a special excitement for the stalker. In a way it's a bit cruel, like giving a child a special toy, and then telling them they can't play with it until tomorrow. For the bow hunter it's even worse, this gift could well disappear before their very eyes. That's fine with me and I'm sure for the deer as well.

6 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

NO WAY!! wow. Hope Mr. Bluebird made his way south!

WiseAcre said...

It looks wonderful but it's too early for my taste. I have yet to get all the firewood into the basement. But now that hunting season has started I guess I'm best off doing that chore and staying out of the woods.

Anonymous said...

Bookmark this post for the First Snowfall Project! Details will be in my sidebar soon. :)

WiseAcre said...

To answer the question you left at my place:

The eyelash mushrooms were growing on an old log where a branch had broken off. The plants you saw were moss.

Liz said...

The snow looks amazing! I'm pretty sure the novelty will wear off soon enough though!

We're unlikely to get any snow until January or February and never in any great quantities...

Anonymous said...

Your first snowfall is the first entry on the First Snowfall page this year. Lovely!