Sunday, July 5, 2009

Spotted Oriental Lily Mix

Van Bourgondien's Fall 2008 catalog offered a spotted Oriental lily mix on page 27. The picture featured Lovely Girl, Dizzy and Muscadet lilies. This beauty is what we received. It is completely lacking fragrance but has a certain charm. It is one of only two lilies that will flower here after our crazy Spring weather and June frost. This one is hardy. It also bears a resemblance to the native wood lily that I have been absolutely unable to find. A search of catalogs offered no lily for sale that looks like our specimen. Few of the previously purchased lilies have survived our zone 4 weather extremes so I would like more of this mystery lily. So far I have no clue as to the identity of this flower. Likely it is a breeders cull that is generally unavailable.

2 comments:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I think it is rather pretty.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Becky that is a beautiful lily girl ! ... I can understand you have a tough time getting lilies through the winter .. then the lily bug is another thing to battle with .. I swear I will be better prepared next year !! .. Didn't I say that last year too : )