Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Snowdrops And A Bluebird


Ed and I went in search of a nice clump of Snowdrops to dig up for a friend.  No gardener who lives in New York State where we do should be without these cheery little flowers that bloom  even when the ground is still partly frozen.
.

Actually we both knew where to look for our quarry, but the trip was filled with obstacles.  We slogged through some snow, climbed over a number of fallen branches and tried to avoid stepping in innumerable patches of deer scat.  We found exactly what we wanted although Ed found that the ground was still frozen under the leaves.  Three clumps were lifted. Countless Snowdrops remain in that location.  One clump will be left on my friend's doorstep.  The others will be planted in  Moss Island where they can be more easily seen.


The biggest excitement of the day was when both Ed and I spotted a bluebird perched on the top branch of the Smokebush.  This time it was not wishful thinking.  The first verified bluebird siting of 2020 goes down on March 10th.  The flash of blue seen when the bird flew up to the roof of the house was unmistakable. This view of the garden shows the Smokebush but no Bluebird and no Snowdrops.  It also makes it clear why I get so excited by the return of my treasured flowers and birds.


1 comment:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Now those are reasons to celebrate! I fear my snowdrops bloomed under the ice this year, or perished. I'm not seeing the patches I typically find. On a brighter note, the crocuses are about to bloom. :)