Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Three Is A Crowd



This morning Ed and I were headed out to go to the YMCA for our exercise class in the pool.  Although we were a little pressed for time and did not wish to be late for class, these Black swallowtail caterpillars stopped us in our tracks.  It would take a person who was oblivious to the natural world around them to ignore these.  I went back in the house and got the camera.  The  Bronze Fennel flowers and new seeds have the undivided attention of these cats.  I can't blame them since I find them tasty myself, but the prospect of beautiful swallowtail butterflies is more important to me than flavor added to a salad..


I hope the fennel lasts long enough.  The frass on the deck under the is impressive,  Caterpillars are eating machines.  This evening when I checked on them one of the large caterpillars was gone and the stem was chewed clear through. The remaining cat will have to move to another stem. As for the other one I'm sure a chrysalis will turn up somewhere.


Here is another very fancy caterpillar.  Ed saw this one crawling on me.  It made an attractive broach.  Ed whisked it away and it landed on his foot.  He bravely stayed still so I could get a photo. I'm sure it is a type of tussock moth, but the coloring does not match the pictures in my books.  In any case touching these can result in a nasty rash for some people.  We sent him on his way delighted to have his picture. This time of year there are lots of caterpillar crawling around.  Each one is amazing in its own way.  I'm glad I didn't miss these!

No comments: