Sunday, August 25, 2019

Seldom Seen Garden Serpent



Ed and I are so far behind with our garden work that it is hard to decide what to do next.  Taking advantage of the cooler weather, we decided to attempt to clear the weeds from the bed where Ed hopes to plant his garlic.  So how tall are the weeds we are talking about?  Well the fence in the photo is four feet high and Ed is right in the center of the picture.  This weeding expedition is looking more like something from an Indiana Jones flick.


From my vantage point sitting on my garden cart I was surrounded, but I love a weeding challenge and the scent of the dill was pleasant.  It was when Ed moved a bag of leaves next to where I was sitting that things got exciting.  Sleeping peacefully under the leaf bag was a Eastern Ringed neck snake.   Those who know me know that if I see a snake when I am not expecting to see one  I scream.  I did this time too, but my scream reflex was quickly  overtaken by curiosity and wonder.


I have read about Ring-Neck snakes, but I had never seen one. It is no wonder because these snakes like the dark. They  are most active at night.  Likely he was out late eating slugs (YES!)  worms and other small prey.  Apparently this is a venomous snake but the venom is only used to immobilize prey through one hollow tooth.  A large predator like me has nothing to worry about.  I had just enough time to snap two photos and the snake slithered off and disappeared in the weeds.  Confidant that he was looking for another dark quiet place to sleep, we went back to our weeding.


We revealed a Gloriosa Daisy that Ed liked so he took the time to move it aside  and give it a drink of water.  It is hard to weed out a plant you love but this bed is designated for the garlic. We have been working on the garlic bed for three days.  Finally it is clear of weeds and ready for Ed's soil amendments.  It seemed an impossible task when we started but I guess we can still do the impossible, it just takes longer!

No comments: