Saturday, February 16, 2019

Cold Silent And Grey? Take A Closer Look.


 I first  awoke this morning  to a cold grey and silent scene.  One of the really great things about where we live is that you can spend time looking out the window even before you crawl out of your nice warm bed.  I was trying to decide if I really wanted to get up when I saw  some color and movement.  A red squirrel streaked across the snow and then disappeared in the distance.  He was moving so fast I doubt if he left footprints.  I couldn't help but notice that the deer had been digging for food right outside my window.  I guess I was hungry too, because the thought of coffee and toast with strawberry jam got me motivated to get up.


It is my habit to view the garden from the living room window while I drink my coffee. The scene was still grey silent and cold.  But then I saw a bird land on top of the birdhouse in the garden.  With this much light I can't really see color in the distance any more so I put down my coffee and got the binoculars.  There were two birds in the garden and then to my surprise I discovered they were Bluebirds.  The birdhouse in the garden is a wren house so they looked it over, but the entrance hole is too small for them so they lost interest quickly.  They flew from post to post in the garden for awhile and then flew away.   I saw them again checking out the Bluebird nest boxes that I can see from my kitchen window.  Wow!  Feb. 16 marks the first Bluebird sighting of 2019 in the Stone Wall Garden.  They really do make me happy and if they can take the cold and snow, so can I. It is still February after all.

 Later, Ed and I walked down to the mailbox.  I hoped that we would see the  birds again.  After all we have Bluebird accommodations down by the road too, but they were nowhere to be seen.  Still that little spark of Bluebird happiness made my day. 


I got so excited by the prospect of spring and the garden that I watered  my pet moss.  This is how it looks dry.  Tomorrow when it is good and wet we will take a closer look!

No comments: