Monday, August 17, 2015

Beauty In The Wild Garden


Our garden is wild this year.  Grasses, weeds, Japanese beetles and deer that think we are the intruders have things in disarray.  All the rain has helped to encourage the wildness.  Many plants are taller than I am.  A mouse keeps building a nest in the engine of the garden tractor.  Weeds are growing everywhere.  Green beans, squash, peppers, basil, potatoes, onions, tomatoes... are all waiting to be harvested.  Worst of all Ed has hurt his back.  Just the same the scent of fragrant Gladiolas fills the air.  The purple and pink gladiolas and the snapdragons are putting on a terrific show.  Perhaps you can ignore the goldenrod in the background!


For a purple fan like me these tall stately, elegant flowers are a very special treat.  The pinks and purples are no accident.  Ed knows they are my favorite and the Acidanthera bicolor  lends a lovely fragrance to the group.  The snapdragons have been blooming for a long time. I love tall snapdragons because if you cut them back they rebloom till frost.



Most of my double pink poppies have gone to seed by now, but a few late bloomers here and there add their beauty to the chaos of the other self seeders around them.


 These asters look great. They have shot right past the Gloriosa Daisies leaving them in the shade.  Not all of Ed's asters look this great, but we are talking about beauty here!


I honestly think this is the most beautiful daylily I have ever seen. The peach and gold seem to light up in the sunlight.  It was sold to us as "Spring Fling" and apparently it is not.  Spring Fling is supposed to be pink and Ed knows I like pink, but whatever name  this flower may have, I think it is strikingly beautiful. It has a soft fragrance and a glow that can be seen from inside the house.  It's golden glow and perfect petals last just one day but perfection is rarely achieved and seldom lasts.

3 comments:

Beth @ PlantPostings said...

I love a "wild" garden. It's such a relaxing place to be. I, too, am a big fan of Snapdragons. They seem to perform better for me, however, when the temperatures are a little cooler. Right now in this heat, mine have slowed down a bit. They're great cut flowers, though, when they're available.

Indie said...

Oh no, too bad about Ed's back! I hope he feels better soon! It's so hard to keep up with everything by late summer anyway, as the weeds soak up the heat and grow by leaps and bounds. Your blooms look so pretty though. What a gorgeous and unusual looking daylily! Never seen any like that before.

Sunita Mohan said...

I love "wild" gardens! So much more interesting :)
Those gladiolas are lovely. And I've never seen a double poppy before. In fact, I didnt even know there was such a thing ... beautiful!