Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cold Caterpillar


I suppose not everyone would stop and take a picture of a frozen bilious green caterpillar, but I do that sort of thing. All sorts of questions come to my mind. What kind of caterpillar is this? It appears to be frozen, so is it alive or is it dead? I think I've read that if you are lost in the woods, caterpillars can be eaten, but one would think that applies only to some kinds. If they are frozen they are supposed to have a sweeter taste. Like that matters, I can't imagine being hungry enough to try this yucky looking specimen . With the temperature in the twenties, I quickly moved on down the path leaving this " juicy " morsel for the birds. Perhaps they will find him tasty. Bon appetit!

6 comments:

Bailey said...

I don't think it is a caterpillar...it looks like poop! I am an expert at poop as I often have to clean the poop that Bailey leaves in the yard and sometimes in the house...LOL

Becky said...

I sure hope that Bailey is not pooping things that color green with ridges and a head. If he is I thing he needs to see the vet. By the way out here in the country we call poop scat!

lifeshighway said...

Whether scat or caterpillar, it does not look very appetizing to me.

Jan said...

It would be interesting to know if it was in some kind of 'limbo' state and could come to life again if thawed out...but I highly doubt it, don't you?! There are many cocoons/pupas that can survive the winter, however. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas:-)

Anonymous said...

We see these caterpillars every winter. I have seen them digging into the dirt between sidewalk sections.We had several days of double digit sub-zero weather a little over a week ago,yet these still show up.As a matter of fact,that is how I ended up here making a comment.There's one outside right this moment,and it's 28 degrees.It came out sometime today,but it only got to about 34 degrees F here. As far as what kind it is,I haven't a clue.That's what I am doing...looking for answers.They are the only ones I see out in this weather,...every winter.

Anonymous said...

I think I found an answer to what type of caterpillar that is.Winter Cutworm, Noctua pronuba, the larva of the introduced Large Yellow Underwing. The Winter Cutworm is native to Eurasia, but it is now found in much of North America.