Monday, October 18, 2010

Bulbs and Garden Friends

I arrived just a bit late with the camera. I wanted to get a picture of Ed planting bulbs. These are not just any bulbs. They came all the way from Buffalo. I didn't buy them there, although I have purchased bulbs in Buffalo in the distant past. These are the special kind of bulbs that are passed from one gardener to another. Bulbs with a history. These narcissus bulbs came from Kathy Purdy, a great blogger I met this July at the bloggers' convention. It's really her story, so click on her name to read it. I know this picture is mostly of dirt, and Ed's foot, but if you look closely you can see another friend in the picture.


A closer look reveals a Monarch chrysalis on the wire cage. Perhaps it is too late for this friend to become a butterfly. We left him undisturbed. Depending on the weather he may have his chance.

Later Ed and I watched as this woolly bear caterpillar tried to climb up out of the hole where Ed had been  standing. The dirt was loose and several times he tumbled back to the bottom of the hole. I confess I have had a thing for woolly bears since I was a child. They never fail to make me smile. I reached down and gently picked up my little garden friend, lifting him up to the lawn. He curled up in a tight ball as they always do. I guess I made him a bit tense, but I hope I helped him on his way to where ever he was going.

3 comments:

Gail said...

Beckie, it means so much to have a little bit of someone else's garden in our own! I am glad that kathy's narcissus bulbs will be making you smile, too. gail

Diana Studer said...

Have you written about that area in your header photo? It looks so inviting, I would love to see more photos, and a 'how we did it' story?

Kathy said...

I love all my plants that have a history to them. I think I have that Empress of China chrysanthemum, except I didn't know what it was called, because it was a passalong from a friend.