Thursday, August 27, 2009

We're Watching



We're keeping a very close eye on our Monarch. The amount of time it takes to complete the change depends on the weather, and so we watch.

There are other things to watch in the garden. The hummingbirds are enjoying the cardinal flowers and the trumpet vine. The goldfinches are beginning to feed on the sunflowers so I know the seed is becoming mature.

Ed has been spending so much time keeping the grass mowed that he actually seems to be tired of doing it. Really I think it's just that he has other things he wants to accomplish instead.He still had time to do some weeding . Some more catnip got cut and stripped to dry. A few of the lower leave on some plants had powdery mildew. I think that is a first for catnip.

5 comments:

Benjamin Vogt said...

I don't know where it is, but last August or September I posted a video on my blog of a monarch emerging from its chrysalis. This is our second year bringing them in to do their thing in the fall. Last year I would look through the garden for hours every evening, until I found where half were going--under the deck. It's sad though when some turn brown, when other have been infested by tachnid flies. Good luck with yours!

Anonymous said...

This just goes to prove that there's lots of life left in the garden yet -- it is still summer, after all. :) I hope you're able to witness that miraculous unveiling.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Becky that is a fantastic picture !
I am so disappointed no butterfly thinks my garden is good enough ? maybe I am missing where they are sleeping ? ;-)
Hope to see the beauty that emerges!
Joy

Anonymous said...

You are lucky. I never see monarchs here. I'm always watching for them however. Should they pass on their migration to Mexico, there are plenty of wildflowers with nectar in the unused pasture behind us.
Donna

Michelle said...

The chrysalis is so beautiful and so is your photography. It's amazing to think that when that butterfly emerges it's going to head straight to Mexico. Let's hope it survives it journey and lives to start another generation. Here we will soon be welcoming some of the first of the western population that overwinters on the coast.