Thursday, April 2, 2009

Am I Blue?



Today was a gorgeous blue sky day, perfect for working outside in the garden. This incredibly blue Siberian squill's beauty is a boost to the spirits, and I needed it! These squill are new to us planted just last fall. We look forward to a well filled patch in a few years.

Unfortunately there was also some angry blue smoke hanging over the garden. Why? RABBITS, that's why. I was raised on Beatrix Potter and had a pet rabbit as a child, but that's all in the past . Those darn rabbits dug holes under my liatris and my Clara Curtis chrysanthemum. The broody bunny is looking for a nest for her soon to be born babies. Fortunately we found the damage in time to restore the plants before the roots dried out. The rotten critters even dug up a hummingbird moth chrysalis and left it exposed . We carefully replaced it just beneath the surface of the soil.

Cute, brown, and furry or not, those rabbits are in big trouble now. More galvanized wire cages protect the plants. From now on I'm rooting for Mr McGregor, Elmer Fudd, and anything that eats bunnies and I don't mean the chocolate ones!

4 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Oh Oh ... Becky that is not a nice thing to do .. rabbit I mean .. she should know better than to expose you plants !
That blue is amazing in the squill .. I have some in the back garden but deck junk may very well be on top of it at the moment .. BIG sigh !

Jan said...

Yes, Elmer Fudd it is. It's easy to see his point now that gardening is a priority:-)

Your blue siberian squill are a boost to MY spirits, as well. Just seeing your photo brings a gentle calm this morning. I would love to get a hold of some myself; I will keep my eyes open!

It's exciting to see the changes happening in your yard now that the 'worst' of the winter has passed. I'll be back to see how things progres...Have a wonderful SPRING:-)

My name is Sarah said...

Beautiful.

Michelle said...

I know how you feel, only my problem is gophers.